Question on OSD #5

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Fri Dec 14 01:38:20 UTC 2007

> larry rosen wrote:
>Statutes and regulations always trump the license. I no longer believe that
>provisions like Jabber s. 5 and MPL 1.1 s. 4 are actually needed in open
>source licenses. None of my licenses say that any more. Licensees are simply
>expected to obey the law and not to distribute software if doing so would
>violate the law. It is not the role of the license to educate about that
>obvious fact.

>/Larry

I guess my question is if a statute says "you can only release information
to people with the correct clearance" you can still reuse the software even if you
do not have rights to do so unless you release code to downstream users who
may not have the correct clearance to see the code?

I would have thought you were simply precluded from being able to reuse the
software because you would be unable to meet the distribution requirements.

Regards,

Nigel