When to evaluate dual licenses

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Thu Dec 13 23:37:00 UTC 2007

On Dec 13, 2007, at 3:14 PM, Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> The section about "limiting its use to free programs"; the complete
>> paragraph is:
>>
>> "However, when a library provides a significant unique capability,
>> like
>> GNU Readline, that's a horse of a different color. The Readline
>> library
>> implements input editing and history for interactive programs, and
>> that's a facility not generally available elsewhere. Releasing it
>> under
>> the GPL and limiting its use to free programs gives our community a
>> real
>> boost. At least one application program is free software today
>> specifically because that was necessary for using Readline."
>
> It doesn't say that program used it optionally.

True.  As we've discussed previously, it also doesn't mention that a
BSD-licensed readline with a compatible API exists, or that there also
is a BSD-licensed libedit which offers similar functionality (via a
different API), which predates GNU readline:

   http://www.crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:12220:200701:eekjfkiiplhjdkoabfid

In particular, the USAGE file for GNU readline states:

--
-Chuck