When to evaluate dual licenses (was: license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?)

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Mon Dec 3 19:19:15 UTC 2007

On Dec 3, 2007, at 10:13 AM, Chris Travers wrote:
> However, suppose I have a work under a permissive license which
> links to GNU Readline.  That is permitted too.  But anyone who wants
> to use GNU Readline in their proprietary spinoff's cannot.  For
> example, PostgreSQL links to both GNU Readline and OpenSSL, and
> nobody has really complained.

If Postgres also works without GNU readline, or if it also works using
the BSD-licensed version of libreadline, then it seems clear enough
that Postgres by itself is not a derivative work of GNU readline.
However, a precompiled binary which statically links in GNU readline
clearly would be.

The same would apply to a proprietary closed-source program-- if it
ships as a binary which statically links in GNU readline, than they
need to honor the GPL and release their sources.  The interesting case
is what happens if a proprietary binary works fine as is, but is
willing to dynamically load libreadline if available.  :-)

--
-Chuck