When to evaluate dual licenses (was: license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Dec 3 16:56:53 UTC 2007

Ben Tilly scripsit:

> I have a sneaking suspicion that I've just been asked to stop reading.
>  But I have to ask.  Why would this be axiomatic?

An axiom A of a logical system S is a statement that is not proved
(ideally cannot be proved) in S, such that other statements in S
logically depend on the truth of A.

Thus, the rest of Andrew's argument depends on this statement, and
if you deny it, the rest of his argument is thereby vitiated.

> In other words the GPL v3 makes it clear that accepting the code under
> the GPL v3 license does not invalidate the permissions you get from
> all other licenses that may apply to the code.  (Even though they are
> not yet written!)

This comes back to my original claim: that if you received code under a
dual license, you have all the powers granted by either license;
in this case, the power to issue your derivative work under the GPLv2.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
        "You need a change: try Canada"  "You need a change: try China"
                --fortune cookies opened by a couple that I know