license categories, was: I'm not supposed to use the ECL v2?

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Dec 1 09:09:52 UTC 2007

David Woolley wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
> >
> >I notice that any reasonable reading of that page would seem to suggest
> >that the use of the GPL v3 (being incompatible with the GPL v2 and not
> >as widely used) is strongly discouraged by the OSI.  I trust this was
>
> The GPLv3 is widely used.  Anyone who used the FSF's preferred form of
> licence grant dual licenced GPL v2 and v3 (and all future versions).

No. It is up to the users to elect whether they want to exercise
the GPLv2 or GPLv3 rights. Few users make their choice explicit.
Until someone feeds GPLv3 modifications to a "v2 or later" project,
you can't count the project as GPLv3.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/