For Approval: GPLv3

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Fri Aug 31 21:45:43 UTC 2007

Matthew Flaschen wrote:

> If we interpret it as contract(s), I would suppose:
>
> Author forms contract with distributor, agreeing that distributor can
> distribute, modify, remove extra permissions, etc., provided conditions
> of GPL are met.

Just so I understand your argument.  You seem to be suggesting that
removing the form of the contract (what the stated permissions are) has
no bearing on the rights granted by the contract (whatever GPL3 +
whatever permissions I granted).  Hence this is a matter of form, not
substance relatng to the actual permissions granted to the recipient of
the software.

Rephrasing this, the actual permissions (what you can legally do with
the software) are unchanged, but the notice of the permissions (the
license) has changed.  Is this correct?

The question becomes, however, does this mean that it is still the same
contract and that agreement creates a contract?  Or could this have the
effect of voiding the GPL3 for downstream users on the basis that a
contract no longer existed?