Approval Process for Non-Profit OSL 3.0

Bob Gomulkiewicz bobgom at u.washington.edu
Thu Aug 30 16:19:09 UTC 2007

I have the same question regarding the Simple Public License (SimPL) which
was submitted for approval in March.  The SimPL was approved by the License
Committee in May (quoting Russ Nelson:  "Recommend: approval, placement in
Redundant category.").  Due to an error in reviewing the wrong draft of the
SimPL, the OSI board inadvertently sent the license back because it thought
it was not compatible with GPL 2.0 which it was as pointed out by Matthew
Flaschen and confirmed by Russ Nelson (quoting Russ Nelson:  "I did a
once-over on the two and they seemed to match, however, I didn't read it
carefully enough, because the latter says "Licensing any Derived Work under
the SimPL," which caused us to reject the license. That's obviously not GPL
compatible, however the license in the revised submission says "Licensing it
to everyone under SimPL, or substantially similar terms (such as GPL 2.0);"
which clearly intends to be GPL compatible. I'll bring this back to the
board.")

Thanks for the update.

--Bob

  _____