(OT) - Major Blow to Copyleft Theory

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Wed Aug 29 15:36:43 UTC 2007

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> http://web.archive.org/web/20040803222641/http://web.novalis.org/talks/lsm-talk-2004/slide-31.html
>
> <quote copyright=Free Software Foundation>
>
> Don't go to court

Good advice for everyone, for most situations.

> FSF hasn't.

Sure they have.  As I recall, one of your acquaintances, the plaintiff
Daniel Wallace, lost the case.

> Court is expensive

Very much so.  Although in that case, the expenses for both parties were
borne by Mr. Wallace.

> Judges don't understand technology

Sometimes they don't, but I've found they can usually understand enough
to rule accurately.

>    "Is static linking like two icons on one desktop?"
>        -Judge Saris, MySQL v. Nusphere oral argument
>
> </quote>

Okay...I have to agree that's ignorant.

But, I don't know what you were trying to show with these quotes.

>> But the ruling primarily seemed to consider trademarks.
>
> http://pacer.mad.uscourts.gov/dc/opinions/saris/pdf/progress%20software.pdf
>
> You can't read or what? "With respect to the General Public
> License..." part has absolutely nothing to do with trademarks.

I didn't say that part had anything to do with trademarks.

In fact, your entire email has been a tangent with little to do with the
preceding thread.

Matt Flaschen