(OT) - Major Blow to Copyleft Theory

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 10:56:15 UTC 2007

Interesting commentary from rjack (some folks seem to think that
Daniel Wallace is the person behind that nick :-) )

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.int-property/msg/60d34a9d49a94c0d
(Message from discussion Open source licenses are /actually/ contracts?!?)

------
Tim Tyler wrote:
> An amazing ruling - if it is upheld:

> "Model train software spat threatens future of open source Throws
> copyrights from the train"
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/open_source_railroad/

Amazing????

Since the decision by the Supreme Court in De Forest Radio Telephone Co.
v. United States, 273 U.S. 236 (1927), intellectual property licenses
have been defined legally as contracts. So what's so amazing about
a Federal District Court following eighty years of uncontradicted
Supreme Court precedent?

Eben Moglen and Groklaw's spewing legal nonsense about the GPL not being
a contract are just that -- legal nonsense.

rjack
------

And

http://groups.google.com/group/misc.int-property/msg/178d6173ee2c5899
(Message from discussion Knotty panties and the GPL)

------
If you think the "model train" decision tied open source supporters
panties in a knot, just wait until they realize the impact of the
First Circuit's decision in:

http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=05-2237.01A

rjack
------