MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 23 23:07:14 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:
> Hi Michael,

Matt.

> You appear to be right here.  Ouch. Talk about overreaching :-(  I hope
> *somebody* stands up against this sort of copyright abuse.....

By the GPL, or the MS-PL?...

> This effectively means "you can only include works under this license which
> you can relicense under terms with identical *restrictions* to this license"
> by this reading :-(

If you mean the GPL is overreaching, I disagree.  Permissive licenses
are designed to be okay with pretty much any added restriction, so why
shouldn't they be okay with the GPL's restrictions?

I don't think I'd say the MS-PL is overreaching either.  What I will say
 is that I don't think it's a genuine permissive license.

Matt Flaschen