MS-PL/GPL compatibility, was Re: For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Wilson, Andrew andrew.wilson at intel.com
Thu Aug 23 19:51:26 UTC 2007

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

>On 8/23/07, Wilson, Andrew <andrew.wilson at intel.com> wrote:
>[...]
>> Alexander, the case under discussion here is what license
>> applies to a derivative work which includes source code
>> licensed under MS-PL combined with source code
>> under a copyleft license to create a derivative work.
>
> What the heck do you mean by combining?

Let's try cut-and-paste to keep it simple.  Can I cut and paste
a non-trivial amount of EPL code (let's say 10 lines or more)
into a BSD-licensed module?  I think the consensus answer is
yes, and EPL follows and applies to the resulting derivative.
Can I paste a non-trivial section of code licensed under MS-PL
into a module licensed under
EPL?  Don't think so, for the reasons originally outlined.

> In the case you really want to
> take this or that interesting element from any licensed code and use
> it as basis for your modification of other licensed code (vs
> aggregating multiple computer program works without doing any
> modifications), I have yet to see how such an element could survive
> the AFC test filtering (hint: it must be something really interesting)

So it is your position that all copyleft licenses are unenforceable?
That's an interesting position; however, I doubt you will
find much support for that point of view on this list.

Andy Wilson
Intel open source technology center