License compatibility of MS-PL and MS-CL (Was: (RE: Groklaw's OSI item (was: When will CPAL actually be _used_?))

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Aug 23 19:51:49 UTC 2007

Thatcher, Jim E. (Woodcock Washburn) scripsit:

> I am responding to the issues raised in this and related threads on this
> discussion at Microsoft's request.

Thank you.  That is admirably clear, and I'm glad to see that it agrees
with my interpretations in every particular.  (Now the /. folks will be
*sure* I'm a paid Microsoft shill, I suppose.  *sigh*)

I take the liberty of quoting the points that concern me:

> The Ms-PL permits redistribution of modified or unmodified versions of
> Ms-PL-licensed code in object code/binary form under other licenses as
> long as those licenses comply with the Ms-PL.

[...]

> By "complies with this license" the Ms-PL means that your license must
> not purport to grant more rights to the Ms-PL licensed software than are
> granted to you by the contributor(s).

[...]

> It is Microsoft's position that copyright/patent holders have the right
> to offer to license their copyrighted/patented work under whatever terms
> they choose, including offering the work under more than one license.

I sincerely hope that these reassurances will dispose of all bogus
incompatible-with-everything claims, though I know this list far too
well to suppose that we will actually hear no more of them.

--
John Cowan <cowan at ccil.org>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver