For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:27:40 UTC 2007

IANAL, etc.

On 8/21/07, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:

> Chris Travers wrote:
> > Note that I am *not* allowed to change the license of BSDL code I
> distribute
> > as part of my GPL'd application.  How is the MS-PL different?
>
> You can't remove the BSD license text.  But you can add a license
> (sublicense).  The latter is not true of MS-PL.

What exactly do you think a license is?  Under what right do you have to add
one to someone else's code?

I always thought a license was essentially a grant of permission to do
something that might otherwise be restricted.  To add a license in this case
would mean?  Are you adding permissions not granted by the BSDL?  Is that
allowed?

I don't think that one is allowed to add or remove permissions from someone
else's code unless appropraite copyright have been assigned.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers