For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Aug 20 07:20:55 UTC 2007

Chris Travers wrote:

> Therefore the BSDL does not permit sublicensing or relicensing of code

I think sub-licensing is normally understood to mean licensing it to a
third party.  I think even the BSD licences were intended to be licences
to everyone (public licences in the GPL terms).

> if you provide it to a customer as part of a GPL application.*  All it
> allows you to do is comply with the ability to provide all downstream
> users with the same permissions (but not necessarily restrictions) that
> the GPL offers.  Since copyright and license notices cannot be removed,

I think part of the confusion is that people are giving names, like
BSDL, or GPL, to sets of conditions on use, whereas what is actually
important is the set of conditions, and whether they are compatible.

--
David Woolley