For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 19 16:08:19 UTC 2007

Brian Behlendorf scripsit:

> Seems as though while MS-PL is not copyleft, MS-CL is, and thus that
> "smallest difference" better be pretty big to offset the potential cost of
> two universes of immiscible code, MS-CL-licensed and GPL-licensed.

I think (as I thought two years ago) that this is a case where the
anti-proliferation rules should be set aside.  We are dealing with an
organization that has the potential of being a major player in free and
open source software (and if they don't like the GPL, there are plenty
of other FLOSS-producing organizations that don't like it either).
If they can only bring themselves to release such software under their
own particular licenses, so much the worse; but not more the worse than
if they never released any FLOSS software at all.

	That would be the John Cowan I know, yes: always assuming the
	best of people and always having the best of intentions. But he
	still doesn't always think all of the consequences through :)
		--Tsela (Christophe Grandsire) on Groklaw, December 2005

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan    cowan at ccil.org
In might the Feanorians / that swore the unforgotten oath
brought war into Arvernien / with burning and with broken troth.
and Elwing from her fastness dim / then cast her in the waters wide,
but like a mew was swiftly borne, / uplifted o'er the roaring tide.
        --the Earendillinwe