For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sun Aug 19 04:10:34 UTC 2007

Michael R. Bernstein scripsit:

> Hmm. So this sentence:
>
>         (D) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code
>         form, you may do so only under this license by including a
>         complete copy of this license with your distribution.
>
> Really should be:
>
>         (D) If you distribute any portion of the software in source code
>         form, you must distribute under this license by including a
>         complete copy of this license with your distribution.
>
> Or some similar less ambiguous construction.

I don't see any ambiguity:  "do so" means "distribute", and "may ... only"
means "must".

> See, I read 3D as an exception or condition to 2A, effectively altering
> the meaning of 2A to 'any derivative works except in source form'.

That would be plausible if 3D mentioned derivative works, but it doesn't.
It speaks of the original software (or parts of it) only.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Does anybody want any flotsam? / I've gotsam.