For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Donovan Hawkins hawkins at cephira.com
Sat Aug 18 15:25:32 UTC 2007

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007, Nils Labugt wrote:

> Some of us wants to license our code under a permissive license, and
> also wants our code to *remain* under a permissive license. Isn't that a
> legitimate wish?

That's an inconsistant wish. What you are saying is that you want code
licensed under the license you choose to remain licensed under the license
you choose. That's hardly permissive. While I appreciate that there is a
mild sense of "compatibility" with other licenses (via linking or keeping
different source files under different licenses), as a developer I would
not wish to have licensing issues dictate the design of my software and
would simply avoid your software unless I'm also using your license. That
makes the license spiritually closer to copyleft licenses like GPL than to
permissive licenses like BSDL (again from the perspective of a developer).

IMO, there is no fundamental difference between MS-PL and GPL except in
who they choose to exclude from their code-sharing club: GPL excludes
closed-source projects, MS-PL excludes GPL projects. MS-PL doesn't
have to explicitly prevent linking or keeping different source files under
different licenses because it acquires this level of exclusion from GPL by
virtue of GPL's own clauses interacting with the MS-PL. This is hardly an
accident.

Either you want people to do what THEY want with your code, or you want
people to do what YOU want with your code. The former is permissive, while
the latter is restrictive (though not necessarily copyleft). I have no
objection to calling MS-PL "open source" since it clearly is. I do have
objection to calling it "permissive" since it clearly is not.

It's unfortunate enough that "free" now means "free to do what the the GPL
says you can do". Let's not also have "permissive" mean "permitted to do
what the MPL/MS-PL says you can do".

> And this license permits linking to code under different licenses,
> doesn't it? Unlike GPLv3.

Being more permissive than GPL is a far cry from actually being
permissive, given how restrictive GPL is.

Donovan Hawkins, PhD                 "The study of physics will always be
Software Engineer                     safer than biology, for while the
hawkins at cephira.com                   hazards of physics drop off as 1/r^2,
http://www.cephira.com                biological ones grow exponentially."