For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Fri Aug 17 10:47:44 UTC 2007

Bill Hilf <billhilf at microsoft.com> writes:
> I'm unclear how some of your questions are related to our license
> submissions, which is what I believe this list and the submission
> process are designed to facilitate.  You're questioning things such
> as Microsoft's marketing terms, press quotes, where we put licenses
> on our web site, and how we work with OEMs - none of which I could
> find at http://opensource.org/docs/osd.

Basically, Chris doesn't want the OSI do approve a license submitted
by an organization of which he personally disapproves, regardless of
the merits of the license itself.  Hey, I can sympathize - personally,
I really don't approve of the FSF, and I'd love to see the OSI turn
down the GPLv3.

Except I wouldn't, really, because then the OSI would lose every shred
of credibility and quickly become irrelevant - just like it would if
it failed to carefully consider the licenses submitted by Microsoft,
or to approve them if they were found to adhere to the OSD.  I don't
want the OSI to lose its credibility and become irrelevant, and I
believe that both licenses submitted by Microsoft are OSD-compliant.

> If you'd like to discuss this, I'd be happy to - and I have a number
> of questions for you about Google's use of and intentions with open
> source software as well.

But Google is good!  Google can do no evil!  It says so right there in
the bylaws!

*smack*

DES
--