Question about the GPL v3

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Aug 16 23:28:40 UTC 2007

Though this may be a typo, it seems incredibly unclear to me:

Section 5d:

d) If the work has interactive user interfaces, each must display
Appropriate Legal Notices; however, if the Program has interactive
interfaces that do not display Appropriate Legal Notices, your work need
not make them do so.

Am I right that this amounts to:

"If the work has ineractive user interfaces, Appropriate Legal Notices
may not be removed though they may be updated as appropriate?"

Here is my confusion.  THe first part says you must have these notices,
but the second says that if you don't have these notices, you don't have to.

Am I missing something obvious in the bounds of the license?  Is there
any basis for any interpretation in the license or outside?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers