For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Aug 16 22:16:47 UTC 2007

Chris DiBona wrote:
> I appreciate your answers (and largely agree with them) but I want to
> hear it from Microsoft. OSI deserves it.

So would I but only one of your questions really centered around the
license so other questions seem irrelevant to approval of the license
per se.  IMHO, that is.
> Also, I'd like to keep the FSF out of this set of questions. We're
> talking about Microsoft here, not the FSF. There is a different thread
> for that :-)

My only point is that if we don't keep the approval discussion to the
license itself, then we are going to have bigger issues than this.  The
basic issue is:  If we hold attacks against the GPL by Microsoft against
them in these procedings then it becomes reasonable to hold attacks
against *any other* OSI-approved license by any other submitting
organization.  Do we want to open this door even a little?

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers