For Approval: GPLv3

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Aug 16 18:48:33 UTC 2007

There is one more possibility I have found as I have re-evaluated
whether or not my objections were valid.  I have concluded that despite
Rick's mischaracterization of my argument, they are not but that there
is one other possible issue with use of GPL v3 software (and this
concern was raised to some extent on debian-legal a while back as well).

At the moment, despite this concern, I would suggest that we approve.

7b of the GPL v3 states that one may require the preservation of
reasonable legal notices.  Debian has raised the concern that
"reasonable" is not defined anywhere.  A legal notice might be required
as part of the code of the software (perhaps as compiler warnings
stating that running the modified code on the supplied hardware would be
a violation of federal law unless appropriate licenses were issued by
the FCC,   Such notices could become quite long and if required outside
of comments (i.e. as compiler warnings or textual notices in the code)
could render portions of the code effectivly invariant.

Due to concerns such as these,. Debian treats the GPL v3 as a
"case-by-case" license which may meet conditions similar to the OSD or
not depending on the specific work.  I don't know whether the OSI sees
the line as "all works under this license meet the definition," or "some
works under this license meet the definition."  If the latter, then we
should approve.  If the former, we need to think about whether an
invarient section of code disseminating a (potentially long) legal
notice violates the OSD.

Ok, I am willing to accept Michael's position that legislative
regulations are outside the bounds of these discussions, and hence the
GPL v3 is OK.  However, I think that you are misrepresenting what I have
said.

I would also point out that I did a little more digging and discovered
that Debian considers the GPL v3 to be a license which may or may not
(depending on use of optional terms) violate the Debian Free Software
Guidelines.  Since the DFSG are the basis for the OSD, this may lead
people to conclude that the use of the GPL v3 does not guarantee meeting
the OSD either but neither does it preclude it.