conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Aug 2 19:58:37 UTC 2007

Rick Moen wrote:
> Do you really think you'd find any judge willing to order that sort of
> specific performance as a equitable remedy, when lesser remedies
> involving injunctive relief and (if applicable) damages would more than
> suffice and are prescribed by statute?  You're the lawyer, my good sir,
> but I have my doubts.

If the GPL is enforced on contract grounds, I'd seek specific performance,
which is a contract remedy. If enforced as a bare license under copyright
law, I don't believe specific performance is an allowed remedy.

I'd argue both contract and license, even though the FSF/SFLC pretends the
GPL can't be a contract.

/Larry