conducting a sane and efficient GPLv3, LGPLv3 Review

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Thu Aug 2 12:53:39 UTC 2007

Walter van Holst wrote:
> >Personally I'm leaning towards your opinion. The problem is, I need
> >to ensure that my client (the company I work for) doesn't get into
> >problems if you and I are mistaken. So that's why in practice I go
> >with the FSF's opinion.
>
> At the end of the day the FSF's interpretation of the GPL doesn't matter
> in court as much as the licensor's intention with using the GPL. I would
> not be terribly surprised if a Dutch court would ignore Eben's
> interpretation and go with the actual content of the GPL in a case where
> the FSF is not the copyright holder of the software in question.

I would not be surprised either. However I create a risk for my
client if I do not go with the FSF's opinion.

If case law shows the FSF is mistaken, then we can revise our
policy to match the case law. I don't want to *be* the case law.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/