Combining GPL and non-GPL code

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Aug 2 06:57:14 UTC 2007

Roger Fujii wrote:

> You are missing the mechanics of how licenses work.  These things
> are all source/receiver based - that is, the last person in the

That conflicts with a basic concept in the GPL, the "public".  The
concept is that indirect recipients also receive a valid licence.  There
may be belt and braces wording, but, basically the theory is that the
GPL is a bare licence, not a contract, so doesn't require offer and
acceptance at each step.

I don't think the FSF would intend that other bare licences for parts of
GPLed code should not be "public".

--
David Woolley