License Committee Report for July 2007

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Aug 1 06:47:41 UTC 2007

Brendan Scott wrote:

> The wording each license uses is different, so this is not obvious to me (eg: the GPL refers to "copying, distribution and modification" as well as "running" the program.  The BSD talks about use and redistribution and (implicitly) modification).
>
> Can you explain why you think the BSD permissions are (at least) a superset of those in the GPL?

One of the reasons goes beyond the wording of the licence.  It is well
known that BSD's intention was that the code be incorporated into
proprietary binaries with typical commercial licences, and it is the
case that Windows, and all modern Unix systems include such code without
providing source.

--
David Woolley