License Proliferation Dissatisfaction

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Apr 28 15:38:23 UTC 2007

Hi Michael,

Thank you for your email and thank you for acknowledging that I offered OSI
my feedback long ago when your license proliferation committee report was
first published. You say you weighed it against "the fundamental reason" why
OSI chose to address the problem of license proliferation, yet I've never
heard any other board responses before to demonstrate that a meaningful
weighing process actually took place. Yours is the first statement by anyone
that attempts to describe the thought processes of the OSI board when it
voted (presumably) on this complicated topic.

I share with you your disappointment that there was not more public
discussion before you revised your website.

What you wrote in your email ought to be published prominently on the OSI
website so that everyone who comes there for information about free and open
source licenses can understand the scope and value of what you offer. I do
not quarrel with OSI's right to categorize licenses however you wish. But
you owe it to your readers to explain that your analysis of popularity was
intuitive rather than scientific; that your methodology results in the
prominence of antiquated licenses which, like antiquated software programs,
continue to plague the world of computing; that your list of licenses
classifies some as "redundant" even though they contain potentially useful
and quite unique legal provisions; and that OSI is neither qualified nor
available to provide legal advice on the very topics for which it was
chartered to educate the public.

Of course, that opens the door to other organizations that can give
meaningful information and who will analyze licenses for what they do rather
than for their prominence as determined in a secret popularity vote.
Unfortunately, many of the people who need correct license information the
most--the community of developers who have come to trust the OSI license
list--will continue to believe what you now offer on your website, thus
setting back the progress of open source licensing.

/Larry