Sublicensing defeats Sleepycat + MIT hybrid?

Suraj N. Kurapati skurapat at ucsc.edu
Fri Apr 13 05:03:21 UTC 2007

John Cowan wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen scripsit:
>
>> IANAL, but I don't think this license (Sleepycat + MIT) allows
>> incorporation of your code into software with simple permissive licenses
>> (e.g. BSD).  To do so, you would need to allow your code to be
>> distributed under the BSD license. The BSD license /does/ allow
>> modifications to be kept secret.
>
> Sleepycat + MIT is self-contradictory anyway, because MIT allows
> sublicensing: you can strip off the Sleepycat language whenever
> you want.

IANAL but I don't think this is possible because (1) the conditions
paragraph of the MIT license is self-preserving and (2) I put the
Sleepycat language within that conditions paragraph.

One cannot gain the ability to sublicense unless one satisfies the
conditions paragraph of the MIT license, correct?  If not, I could
simply take some MIT licensed code, remove the license's conditions
paragraph, and redistribute it as I please.