Request for checking GPL compatibility

Suraj N. Kurapati skurapat at ucsc.edu
Tue Apr 10 17:53:12 UTC 2007

Hello,

Below is the result of my attempt to distill the SleepyCat license
into the the MIT license template (everything is same as the MIT
license except the conditions paragraph in the middle).

This license satisfies my ethical needs (attribution + share-alike)
and seems to be easily understood by my peers. It also appears to
satisfy the OSD, DFSG, the three tests (desert island, dissident,
and tentacles of evil) outlined in the DFSG-FAQ, and GPL compatibility.

However, I am not very confident about the GPL compatibility, so I
humbly request your assistance in verifying its satisfaction.

Thanks for your consideration.

------------------8<------------------------>8---------------------

Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person
obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files
(the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction,
including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge,
publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software,
and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so,
subject to the following conditions:

All copies and substantial portions of the Software (the "Subsets")
and their corresponding source code (the "Code") must include the
above copyright notice and this permission notice.  The Subsets must
be distributed with the Code or with information on how to obtain
the Code.  The Code must reflect all modifications made to the
Subsets and must be available for no more than the cost of
distribution plus a nominal fee.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND,
EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND
NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS
BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN
ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN
CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE
SOFTWARE.