Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 27 01:30:25 UTC 2006

Wilson, Andrew wrote:
> I'd actually say that, in the case where you received that
> proverbial coupon in the box which says "no duplicates
> accepted," the company is not obligated to honor a scanned
> coupon posted on your website

I definitely disagree with that.  The GPL makes it clear that copying
written offers is an option for non-commercial distributors (3c).  There
is no way it would allow that unless these copies were valid.  The FAQ
entry stating "When users non-commercially redistribute the binaries
they received from you, they must pass along a copy of this written
offer." supports that.

If the license in fact allows this contradiction (non-commercial
distributors can copy written offers, but the copies may be invalid), it
has, as Ben Tilly put it, has a serious "bug."

Matthew Flaschen