Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 26 21:38:40 UTC 2006

Rick Moen wrote:

> Doesn't anyone _read_ the text?  Any lawful recipient (including
> non-customers given copies of the work by customers) may invoke Novell's
> clause 3b obligation to furnish corresponding source code to any third
> party.

I certainly agree with you there, but I would go even farther.  Though
most people requesting source would probably have a copy of the
associated binary, the GPL does not require this.  You can have the
binary of a different version, or no binary at all.  This is a good way
to get a copy of the source (which you can then compile to binary) if no
one wants to give you a copy in any form.

Obviously, this is unpleasant for some redistributors; as someone
suggested earlier, this is probably deliberate (to get redistributors to
provide source with binaries up front instead).

Matthew Flaschen