Restriction on distribution by Novell?

Justin Clift justin at postgresql.org
Tue Sep 26 13:47:55 UTC 2006

Hi Philippe,

No worries, this is Paragraph 5 in full (the whole document only has 6
paragraphs):

   "Upgrade Protection Benefits. The purchase of Upgrade Protection for
a specific installation of SUSE Linux entitles Customer to install and
use all Upgrades and Updates (see below) made commercially available by
Novell during the period covered by the Upgrade Protection, up to the
number of installations for which Customer has purchased Upgrade
Protection. Update means a fix or compilation of fixes released by
Novell to correct operational defects (program bugs) in the SUSE Linux
product. Upgrade means any new version of SUSE Linux which bears the
same product name, including version changes evidenced by a number
immediately to either the left or right of the decimal (e.g. for SLES
8.0 to 9.0). If a question arises as to whether a product offering is an
Upgrade or a new product, Novell's opinion will prevail, provided that
Novell treats the product offering the same for its end users generally.
If Novell commercially releases any Upgrades and/or Updates, Novell will
make such Upgrades and/or Updates available to Customer within a
reasonable period of time after they become commercially available.
Customer acknowledges that Novell cannot guarantee any specific
turnaround times and/or regular release intervals."

When I asked our Novell Territory Exec he directly said we're only
allowed to apply downloaded updates to SLES9 boxes we've already bought
licenses for (in line with the above).

This appears to be curtailing some of the freedoms expressed in at least
the GPL, and it appears to be occurring in Real World practice as well.

All thoughts appreciated.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
The Flame Project - Open Source GUI for animated SVG & Flash
http://www.flameproject.org