shared source and open source

Mr SZ sk8in_zombi at yahoo.com.au
Thu Nov 30 17:38:50 UTC 2006

 Thanks everyone,sorry i was a bit busy with my jabber stuff.I decided to go ahead with jabber-net as michael suggested (njabber did not work out though).Anyway the author of agsxmpp had this to say:

No the Apache or a BSD like licence is not compatible with our shared source licence. You can distribute your code under one of this licences and exclude the agsXMPP library from it. But i don't think this makes sense when your project relies on our SDK.

I know that it's not easy to find a compatible licence if you want to open your source. We are currently evaluating some other OSI compatible licences and perhaps distribute it under a dual licence in one of the next releases. But this is not for sure yet.

Clearly even he is aware that there is no solution to it. :)

Thanks again everyone and specially to Michael Bernstein.

" life is'nt heavy enough,it flies away and floats far above action"

Are you sure you want to do that?

The AGSS license seems non-OSD compliant on it's face,  so even if you
use an OSI-approved license that can be used in combination with this
library, the resulting application will not be open-source.

Wouldn't it be better to select a different library with an OSD
compatible license?

There is a list of available XMPP libraries here:
http://www.jabber.org/software/libraries.shtml

One of them (Jabber-Net) is even written in C# and licensed GPL:
        http://jabberstudio.org/projects/jabber-net/project/view.php

And a little more digging reveals this library licensed LGPL:
        http://jabberstudio.org/projects/njabber/project/view.php

HTH,

- Michael R. Bernstein
  michaelbernstein.com