APL license - What about the enforced logos?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Nov 29 23:12:19 UTC 2006

Matthew Flaschen scripsit:

> Well, I don't know about a *strong* trademark.  A district court judge
> found, "serious questions regarding whether 'Windows' is a non-generic
> name and thus eligible for the protections of federal trademark law."
> (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/62546_lindows16.shtml) in the
> Lindows case.  Still, it's strong enough to threaten with(for now).

It's not the trademark that's strong, it's the $40 billion in cash.
With that, you can make even the most specious legal theory effective
enough to get your opponent to go away -- Linspire is not using the
Lindows name today.

--
You are a child of the universe no less         John Cowan
than the trees and all other acyclic            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
graphs; you have a right to be here.            cowan at ccil.org
  --DeXiderata by Sean McGrath