ZDNet article - why attribution matters

Matt Asay mjasay at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 06:09:26 UTC 2006

Um, yes.  Alfresco has scads of these, especially in Europe.  Both end users
that are happy using Alfresco with the attribution, SIs that are happy to
sell implementation services for it (without our involvement), and OEMs that
are integrating our Community (attribution required) product into theirs.
It may serve as a deterrent to some, but we have thousands of
users/OEMs/resellers on the Community product.

I guess they didn't notice that it's not open source.  They downloaded it,
accessed the source, modified it, forked it, and redistributed it.  If it
smells like open source and tastes like open source...maybe it's open
source?