ZDNet article - why attribution matters

John Roberts john at sugarcrm.com
Tue Nov 28 04:14:41 UTC 2006

Michael,
There are multiple ways of protecting attribution. We use a text based
language PHP, that does not need to be compiled. If we did use a language
that required a compiler it would be much, much easier for us to embed our
attribution marks in, say a Linux distribution and make it virtually
impossible for anyone to compile the source with the attribution marks
removed.

Just another example of a way to be technically OSI approved, but still
protect your attribution marks. What happens if you remove all the redhat
marks and compile the source? RHEL makes that super simple right? No compile
issues? Any average developer should be able to do this right? Can you point
me to an URL and instructions on how to do this?

Another way is to add external service agreements that surround GPL code
that place extended limitations on the use of GPL code within enterprises
that buy commercial linux subscription contracts? If this is true, it
doesn't seem very open source to me. Even though it's 'OSI approved'.

OSI is an organization that I believe tries very hard to represent the
interests of both developers and users. I really do not like the idea of a
small group of folks (I'm curious to understand how board members are
chosen, elected, etc.) trying to create laws for the rest of the world. Open
Source to me is about freedom. It's about letting the collective wisdom of
crowds choose the licenses as they, the users see fit. Let the best licenses
win.

I am not trying to stir things up too much here. I'm a huge believer in what
we are all trying to accomplish collectively. I've purposely stayed away
from this discussion because it felt more like punditry then action. And
most importantly, the acknowledgement that open source is growing, but it is
also changing. I hope OSI does not get stuck in the past or it could, and I
think will be superseded by a new open source organization that more people
both developers and users feel represent their real interests and values.

Attribution is here to stay. If you refuse to acknowledge it, you are trying
to stop change, which will be very hard to do I believe.

John