FOR APPROVAL: WhizbangApplicationCompany Public License 1.0

Danese Cooper danese at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 16:28:11 UTC 2006

In our experience, if we can get someone who is *actually* using a
given license to work with us we stand a much better chance of
working through the issues towards satisfactory resolution in favor
of true Open Source.  This process typically involves some back
channel education and a lot of public discussion.  There are indeed a
number of companies using modified OSI-approved licenses requiring
some level of attribution and calling their projects "open source"
even though their license modifications appear to many of us to work
against the Open Source Effect of code reuse and unintended
consequences.  I can see only limited utility in debating and
possibly indicting a proxy license when the folks facing the actual
business case aren't representing their side of the question.  As I
said in my blog, I think we have such a company nearly ready to
submit their license and rationale and to enter into an active debate
that might result in language everyone can agree upon.  Its been a
tricky thing to get any of them to submit for fear of backlash.
These are not mega-corporations using the licenses in question.  They
are typically small and VC funded and they are pioneering a new
business space.  The company we expect to get a license submission
from isn't full of evil people trying to undermine Open Source, and
it is the hope of the OSI Board that they would be treated fairly on
this list.

Danese Cooper
http://danesecooper.blogs.com/divablog