License Discussion for the Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

Rory Pheiffer rpp at MIT.EDU
Thu May 11 12:58:18 UTC 2006

Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your inquiry.  I understand your concern and hope that I can
clear this issue up some for you.

MIT owns patents for the sole purpose of encouraging commercial development
of the technology through licensing.  The issue for MIT is one of control
over enforcement of the patents.  MIT owns over 2000 patents in the US alone
and many more worldwide.  Most of those patents are licensed to companies or
are intended to be licensed to companies.

The issue for MIT is in the instance where MIT has exclusively licensed
patents that may cover software that we release under the Broad Institute
Public License.  MIT would not knowingly choose to patent an algorithm or
method implemented by open source software and then knowingly withhold
rights to that patent.  The issue is where claims in patents not obviously
or easily identified as covering the software do, in fact, cover the
software.  MIT may or may not be able to control enforcement of those patent
claims if they have been exclusively licensed to a company.  Because of the
size of MIT's patent portfolio, it is impossible for MIT to review all of
its patents, even in a cursory fashion to determine which likely cover any
particular software.  Thus, we can not offer a broad-based license to any
patent that is owned by MIT that covers the use of the software licensed
under the BIPL.  Whether or not granting the right to use the software
creates an implied patent license is still an open question of law and not
one that we choose to address.

In the event, MIT files a patent to specifically cover a particular piece of
software, MIT does offer licenses of that known patent with its software
licenses.  However, MIT is not willing to offer any representations or
warranties relating to these facts or situations because of potential
liability to MIT, which is a non-profit research and educational institution
that provides significant research and educational resources to the world
for free.

I hope this helps you understand why MIT found it necessary to create the
BIPL and make sure that MIT was not granting rights to its patent portfolio
blindly.

Rory