[FWD: RE: [Ebxmlrr-tech] License issue with our customer]

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed May 3 18:27:18 UTC 2006

I'm not a lawyer; this isn't a legal opinion; and it isn't even an
official OSI position.

Unless you've made some other arrangement, the default ownership of
copyright goes to whoever paid for the creative effort ("A Work for
Hire").  If you modify a copy of open source code for someone, they
own the copyright on it, even if you own the copyright on the original
open source work.  Some open source licenses require that
modifications be contributed (e.g. APSL, RPSL, and ohers).  The AFL is
not one of these licenses.

If, on the other hand, your customer make a suggestion for what he
wanted in your Open Source product, and you sold him the first copy
that had those features, then he has no copyright rights.

It go either way.  The crucial missing detail is whatever arrangement,
agreement, or contract Ladislav made with his customer.