For Approval: Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

Matthew Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 14 20:08:07 UTC 2006

Wilson, Andrew wrote:
> The exact definition of Licensable in CDDL is
> "means having the right to grant."  If the Institute
> has already granted exclusivity to a 3rd party,
> seems to me that patent is not Licensable since
> the Institute has no further rights to grant.
>
> IANAL, etc., etc.
>
> Andy Wilson
> Intel Open Source Technology Center

I agree. I was talking about clause 2 of the OSL, which includes
"Licensor grants You a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive,
sublicensable license, under patent claims owned or controlled [...]."
Your assessment of clause 1.8 (definition of Licensable) of CDDL, which
includes "having the right to grant, to the maximum extent possible"
seems correct.

Matthew Flaschen