For Approval: Broad Institute Public License (BIPL)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Tue Jul 11 18:39:18 UTC 2006

Thank you for resubmitting your license. I didn't focus on it when you first
submitted this.

If MIT refuses to grant a patent license for its software, then there is a
possibility that MIT (or its faculty, researchers, graduate students, staff,
etc.) will later claim royalties for the patents embodied in that software
from the users of that open source software. Is it your intention to allow
that? How is this at heart different from the Rambus licensing model?

How does this comport with OSD #7:

7. Distribution of License

The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is
redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by
those parties.

Your license has removed important parts of the MPL that treat the Initial
Developer and subsequent Contributors the same. In your case, the Initial
Developer (MIT) does not grant a patent license but Contributors do. That
doesn't sound fair.

Many popular open source licenses are entirely silent about patents, so it
is hard to know what their licensors really intended about patent grants. In
your case, though, you have expressly made silent a patent grant that
existed previously in the MPL. So it is now fair to challenge you about your
removing a patent grant that "is an encumbrance that MIT cannot agree to
give" and passing that cost and risk onto your licensees. Is that
reasonable?

/Larry Rosen

Lawrence Rosen

Stanford University, Lecturer in Law

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243

Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and

                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)

  _____