For Approval: TrueCrypt Collective License Version 2.0

Matthew Seth Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 10 21:24:09 UTC 2006

> 2) We need the license to reflect the fact that the covered software is
> cryptographic. We have a special part in the Disclaimer section
> pertaining to cryptographic algorithms and their implementations.
>
> 3) We need to take into an account that the whole product is
> distributed under multiple licenses. The TrueCrypt Collective License
> includes all these licenses and refers to them as "component" licenses
> and defines the relationships between all the individual licenses. It
> is important to note that the component licenses do not permit changes
> of the license terms for the work (or portions thereof) they cover.
> Therefore they must be retained verbatim (and cannot be replaced by an
> existing OSI-approved license). For the purpose of the approval
> process, the component licenses shall not be considered as separate
> licenses, but as integral parts of the TrueCrypt Collective License.

All of these licenses should be submitted separately, to allow their
separate use.  You should also templatitize the license; this means
replacing TrueCrypt and other terms specific to your company with
generic terms like Product and Licensor; the copyright notice would
clarify the owner of each specific piece of software.  This allows other
companies to use the license.

> We will gladly work with you to resolve any possible problems with this
> license.

You don't really need a TrueCrypt advert ("Based on TrueCrypt, freely
available at http://www.truecrypt.org/"); you will already have a
copyright notice.  Required adverts for each program your product is
based on can become overwhelming.

There are probably other issues with the license.

Matthew Flaschen