GPL v3

Matthew Seth Flaschen superm40 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 26 00:50:59 UTC 2006

> Au contraire, my guess is that soon after there is a final GPL v3, the
> bulk of FSF/GNU code will be relicensed v3-only (and this is a lot of
> code).
> Remember, they can do this far more easily than many other projects,
> since FSF requires assignment of copyright.

They would never revoke the GPL v2 license on existing code.  People may
be right that this is technically allowed under the law (though from
what I understand this isn't certain) , but it isn't the FSF's style.
They generally do not take back freedoms given. They will immediately
start licensing new code as GPL v3 only, eventually making code FSF code
using only GPL v2 or lower obselete and essentially making people comply
with GPL v3.

-Matthew Flaschen