Question Regarding GPL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Jan 21 05:14:41 UTC 2006

Quoting John Cowan (cowan at ccil.org):

> His point was that under Galoob I can run a proprietary kernel module
> assuming its author could legitimately create it -- that is, I am not
> liable for the act of running it.  Which is good.

Ah, OK.  It's always been quite clear that the act of _using_ a
copyrighted material is not, in the general case (modulo performance
rights for music, dramas, teleplays) controlled by copyright law:
Galoob just finally killed stone-dead the a-priori unlikely theory that
it as the Court saying "Nice try, but clearly _no_."