[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Rod Dixon roddixon at cyberspaces.org
Thu Dec 14 02:07:36 UTC 2006

I would add OSD#3 and #4 as well.  Mandatory badgeware seems per se
contrary to the spirit and letter of the OSD. Aside from the open
source matter, if a badgeware proponent carefully reads some of the
thoughtful comments posted on this list, it should become apparent
that some forms of badgeware use do not well-serve the holder of the
trademark anyway (that is, if the badgeware is an appropriate
trademark).  There must be numerous ways to implement a less imposing
signal of attribution than a mandatory badgeware restriction dressed
up as a trademark license tucked inside a software copyright license.

Rod Dixon