[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Brian Behlendorf brian at collab.net
Wed Dec 13 21:40:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006, John Cowan wrote:
> Would you agree that a Larger Work which has no user interface screens
> is not bound by this requirement?  That is, do you think that inserting
> the words "if any" after each instance of "user interface screen" would
> still substantially achieve your goals?

I think "if any" might be a way out of this.

One could ask: what would prevent someone motivated to remove the
attribution to take Terracotta's product, reconfigure its business logic
as a program without a UI (remove the web pages, replace them with WS-*
services) and then redistribute that, to which another party ads a bunch
of user interface code?  The answer would be that the provision survives
the stripping of any UI, so that the third party would be required to add
that attribution to their new screens.  That makes sense, and has more
comparable precedent with the Apache license's call for attribution.

 	Brian