[Fwd: FW: For Approval: Generic Attribution Provision]

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Wed Dec 13 18:01:36 UTC 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:
> [ ... ]  What are the limits under open source rules
> to such factual statements of attribution that a FOSS license
> can *require* in the UI of all derivative works:
>
>    "Lovingly merged with the outstanding software
>     I received from Joe Foo and that bears the FOO
>     trademark" must be displayed in all derivative
>     works in 48-point characters at the top of the
>     main WELCOME screen.

OSD #10...?

As far as I can tell, the existing definition works just fine: an OSI-
approved license is may require attribution, so long as the
attribution does not make it impossible to reuse the licensed code
because the attribution requirements cannot be satisfied for common
situations.

Would the OSI board approve a license which required anyone who used
or redistributed the software to send out spam advertising the
product?  I think Andy is right: "open source" isn't shareware or
adware...

--
-Chuck