Free Software Licenses not approved as Open Sourse License

Brian C brianwc at ocf.berkeley.edu
Thu Apr 20 19:07:12 UTC 2006

Hi Nikhil,

Nikhil Prabhakar wrote:
> Is there any free software license as listed on
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html that have been rejected
> as being OSI certified?

I asked a similar question of the list in December of 2004. See the sole
reply here:

http://crynwr.com/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?3:mss:9257:200412:jkdbdlbojbfdnnmmahmi

My original message seems not to have been archived.

I believe the answer to your question is: no.

However, there are some licenses listed by FSF that have never been
submitted to OSI for approval, so we don't know for sure what would
happen if they were. (My guess is that all such licenses currently
listed there would be approved. And in general, were all FSF-approved
licenses always submitted to OSI then the FSF-approved licenses would
most likely become a subset of the OSI-approved licenses. --But no
promises.)

Brian Carver