Derivative Works of OSL 3.0 and AFL 3.0 [Section 16]

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Mon Sep 12 19:43:06 UTC 2005

On Sep 12, 2005, at 8:41 PM, Lawrence Rosen wrote:

> Chris Zumbrunn wrote:
>>> Here is what I ended up with: http://czv.com/licenses/CL3/
>
> Chris and others,
>
> While I contributed OSL 3.0 for others to use to create licenses as
> they
> wish, I would sincerely appreciate your not doing so at least until
> OSL 3.0
> is approved. Now is not the time to confuse everyone with your own
> versions.
>

> Nor, as it happens, has OSI decided how to respond to an inevitable
> profusion of OSL-like licenses with subtle and confusing differences.
> License proliferation remains a problem.
>
> I was warned that this would happen when I first proposed section 16
> but I
> took a chance in doing so because I wanted to eliminate the problem of
> me
> being a "license steward." Please don't write a derivative license
> just to
> prove it can be done. At least not now, and not without careful thought
> first.

Point well taken. I also realize that the same thing that the Copyback
license
tries to achieve could be achieved by combining the OSL with a waiver.
Then
again, the same thing would be true for the AFL. Having a "derivative"
such as
the AFL or the Copyback license available as its own license that can
easily be
referenced in Copyright Notices probably justifies their existence if
they fill
important slots.

I basically see four slots that are worth filling...
Beastie (AFL), Copyback, Copyleft (OSL) and if you want the GPL.

Outside of that I can hardly see a need for another license. But maybe
my view
is tainted.

Chris