OSL for libraries (was Re: Submitted for Approval: OSL 3.0 and AFL 3.0)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Sep 12 17:26:36 UTC 2005

Gordon Kindlmann wrote:
> I believe I'm now grasping the simplicity of OSL 3.0, which
> deftly leverages the existing legal framework for collective
> and derived works.

Thank you. I tried.

> My concern, again from the standpoint of applying OSL 3.0 to
> a library, is that the spirit of things like LGPL (and the
> exception notices that have evolved on top of it) is that at
> least from a programmer's standpoint, there is a meaningful
> and fundamental difference between the distribution of a
> modification of a library, and the distribution of an
> executable which links against the unmodified library.  If my
> library is under OSL 3.0, both a modified version of the
> library, and a copy of the library as contained in an
> executable (aka collective work), are also to be licensed
> under OSL 3.0.  Correct?

Correct.

You licensed your library under OSL 3.0 and did not authorize anyone to
change that fact for copies, however they are combined with other works.

You also authorized derivative works of your library and require them to be
distributed under OSL 3.0.

> So, when you say that "a licensor can waive any provision of
> his license with respect to his own original works", is there
> any precedent for limiting that waiver to certain kinds of
> copies or derivatives?

OSL 3.0 imposes no such limits. There are many dual licensing business
models. Be creative. You can separately license (or waive license
conditions) for any of your own Original Works. You can be selective in
granting waivers or alternative licenses, and you can charge fees for
waivers or alternative licenses.

<snip>
> When part of a collective work,
> and when in binary form, I would want the copy of my library
> to be licensed under, for example, *AFL* 3.0 instead of OSL
> 3.0.  Is this practical within the context of OSL/AFL 3.0, or
> possible at all?
<and snip some more>
> I would not want, for example, someone to contrive a
> collective work around a copy of the
> *source* of my library, using the non-reciprocal license I
> permit for collective works, lift the library out of the
> collective work, and then modify and distribute it, again
> under the non-reciprocal license.

You can't license binary-only under AFL 3.0. The same source code
requirements apply in that license as in OSL 3.0. AFL 3.0, however,
authorizes your licensees to distribute binary-only under a license of their
choice.

Your Original Work does not lose its character or its license merely because
it is copied into a collective work. Any downstream sublicensees are bound
by OSL 3.0 as applied to your contribution to that collective work. They
cannot "lift the library out of the collective work, and then modify and
distribute it," except under OSL 3.0. Here's what I'm relying on:

17 U.S.C. 103(b): The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends
only to the material contributed by the author of such work, as
distinguished from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does
not imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in
such work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope,
duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in the
preexisting material.

17 U.S.C. 201(c): Contributions to collective works. Copyright in each
separate contribution to a collective work is distinct from copyright in the
collective work as a whole, and vests initially in the author of the
contribution. In the absence of an express transfer of the copyright or of
any rights under it, the owner of copyright in the collective work is
presumed to have acquired only the privilege of reproducing and distributing
the contribution as part of that particular collective work, any revision of
that collective work, and any later collective work in the same series.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
Rosenlaw & Einschlag, technology law offices (www.rosenlaw.com)
3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482
707-485-1242  *  fax: 707-485-1243
Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and
   Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)
   [Available also at www.rosenlaw.com/oslbook.htm]