License Proliferation

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Sun Sep 4 13:28:18 UTC 2005

On Sep 4, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Russell Nelson wrote:

> Incompatible licenses (e.g. the GPL) don't contribute to this process.
> In fact, they impede it.
>
> Having whacked a hornet's nest, I will now run around a corner so they
> don't see me.

:-)

Personally, I believe adding an additional clause to the OSD, that would
require licenses to allow (be compatible with) the sublicensing of
larger
works under any other OSD approved license, would be a bold but wise
step.

The GPL no longer being an OSI approved license would not harm
the GPL, the FSF or the free software movement in any way and it would
help everybody to better understand the difference between the two
concepts of "open" and "free" code - to the benefit of everyone.

Chris

chris at czv.com  +41 329 41 41 41
Chris Zumbrunn Ventures - http://www.czv.com/
Internet Application Technology - Reduced to the Maximum